The Absolute Truth About the Lord's Supper
In a prayer to the Heavenly Father, the Lord Jesus Christ said, "Thy word is truth" (John 17:17). The Bible is God's word, and is therefore the absolute truth. In John 8:31-32 Jesus said, "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." We invite you to freedom. Look up the Bible verses referenced after the following statements, to see that the statements are true.
- The purpose of the Lord's Supper is to remember Christ's death till he come (1 Cor. 11:25-26).
- Partaking of the Lord's Supper does not save the soul, but rather Christ only invites those already saved to partake (1 Cor. 11:27-34).
- The bread of the Lord's Supper symbolizes the pure, sinless body of Christ, but is not the literal body of Christ (Mat. 26:26).
- The cup of the Lord's Supper symbolizes the pure, sinless blood of Christ, but is not the literal blood of Christ (Mat. 26:27-29).
- Participation in the Lord's Supper is intimately connected with church discipline, and therefore Christ invites only the members of the local church in good standing with both the church and God to partake (1 Cor. 5:1-13).
- The bread of the Lord's Supper must be unleavened to represent the sinlessness of Christ (1 Cor. 5:6-8).
- Pure grape juice ("fruit of the vine"), not alcoholic wine, must be used for the cup of the Lord's Supper to symbolize Christ's pure blood which washes away our sins (Mat. 26:27-29; Prov. 20:1; Lev. 10:9-10).
- The flesh and blood of Christ talked about in John chapter 6, which we must eat and drink to receive eternal life, is not referring to the elements of the Lord's Supper, but rather to the literal flesh and blood of Jesus Christ himself, which we eat of in a spiritual sense by believing his words (John 6:57-69).
Louis A. Turk, B.A., M.Div., Ph.D.
The website dedicated to the study of eternal life.
ETERNAL LIFE IS NOT TEMPORARY LIFE!